Saturday 7 January 2012

German Christmas Market in Hyde Park

Visiting London again after 30 years gave me a chance to meet up with a dear friend. After a hearty lunch of braised beef at the National Gallery, opposite Trafalgar Square, we decided to brave the weather outside and walk in Green Park. When we reached Hyde Park we were surprised and delighted to find a real, authentic German Christmas Market, complete with Gluhwein (mulled wine) and Wurste (Sausages) of all description. Most of the shopkeepers were German too and I appreciated another opportunity to practise my German. There were the usual things for sale in Germany and it was lovely to see it all again. Although it was early January, there was still that magical atmosphere.



Then I visited some NZ friends for tea. Getting around London was so easy on the Tube. I would never attempt to travel such distances in Auckland without a car.
Next blog will be from France. I'll be in Dijon for 2 weeks, then to Tours for a night, then to Paris for 2 nights, then home. This has been an amazing adventure. Thank you, all of you, who have come with me, even on parts of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment