Monday 17 October 2011

Some of the most beautiful villages in France

These are some of my favourite photos of this area..So many stone houses have been renovated in the old style and look really beautiful. I love the old stone steps and took lots of photos of them. Then I was fascinated by the  doors and windows. The river runs through the village where I stayed. It looked quite harmless now but I was told it floods regularly, reaching right up to the second level. The people just clean out the basement, which is not used to sleep in, and get on with their life. The house I stayed in looks like one of those old houses you see in a historic village or museum, not allowed to touch. Here I was living in one, sleeping in one of those beds and looking out one of those tiny windows. Our house is the one with green shutters. Also see if you can spot the two cats. You can see inside a courtyard and the date on the outside is 1032. This gives you an idea of the age of this place.
I enjoyed the walks along the banks of the River Lot and we picked up some last walnuts left behind after the harvest. The market was charming, offering produce from the area. The streets were narrow but everyone seemed to manage. We visited a cemetery and I enclose a photo. The flowers are all artificial and it looks like a competition to see who can put the most memorial plaques on the tomb stones. The area is famous for its trout and salmon fishing. The fishing competition going over two days attracted many participants and viewers.
On the way home, my hostess had a special treat in store. We went over the famous Millau viaduct. This part of the motorway spans the two hills above the town of Millau and is higher than the Eiffel Tower in places. I was so excited to go over it.











I am back at Language School and this week and the special course for teachers has started. It  was great today and I already have so many interesting ideas to try out on my classes next year. We five students enjoyed the activities. The programme involves both morning and afternoon for two weeks. Hope you enjoy the photos. If you go into Google maps and zoom to maximum, you too can drive over the Millau viaduct. Let me know what you think.
Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment